Sussex Geodiversity Partnership
The Sussex Geodiversity website
Welcome to the Sussex Geodiversity website. Geodiversity is the variety of rocks, fossils, minerals, natural processes, landforms and soils that underlie and determine the character of our landscape and environment. Here you will find:
- Geological maps of Sussex and surrounding areas
- Map-based links to information on Local Geological Sites, access, interest features, photographs and site maps
- Stratigraphic charts for the local geology
- Links to descriptions of the major rock units
- A link to a bibliography of all relevant publications on the Chalk (other rock units to follow)
There are also links to related websites including all the organisations involved in the Partnership. Our hope is that the website will evolve to include contributions from many other sources.
What is the Sussex Geodiversity Partnership?
The Partnership was formed in 2011 with the aim of promoting and protecting geodiversity in East and West Sussex and the city of Brighton and Hove. Members of the Partnership represent a range of organisations including:
- East and West Sussex County Councils
- Natural England
- Geologists' Association
- Sussex and Brighton Universities
- Sussex Wildlife Trust and Sussex Biodiversity Record Centre
- South Downs National Park Authority
- High Weald AONB
- Local geological groups
The Partnership seeks to share information on the geodiversity of Sussex, influence policy and establish cross-regional working for geodiversity as well as providing the following functions:
- A regional network for organisations, groups and individuals involved in geodiversity
- A regional voice and profile for geodiversity
- Easy access to information about Sussex geodiversity
- Influence planning, policy development and practice
- Share good practice
- The Geodiversity Charter for England was launched in October 2014 and the document can be accessed on the website of the English Geodiversity Forum
Upcoming events and lectures:
It is highly likely that many, if not all, of these events have now been cancelled. Please check with the organisations listed.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you would like your programme of events or lectures added to this feed.